First Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, received its official charter on January 22, 1882. After holding services in several buildings in Newton, they bought two lots at First and Main Street for $500, where they soon built a small, wooden church.
By 1915, the congregation had outgrown this building and in 1916, a new church was built. The sanctuary had two special windows installed on the north and south. They were "Christ Knocking at Your Heart" and "The Good Shepherd".
This structure stood until 1993, when it was razed to make room for the present structure. These two windows were incorporated into the present building.
The church has always been a big mission church.
Our first pastor was Rev. Alexander Elliot, who drove his horse and buggy every other Sunday morning from Burrton, where he was also a minister, to help the men and women start the Newton church.
During the Depression of the 1930s, the congregation felt a need for an organ, so they bought a pipe organ from the Reuter Organ Company in Lawrence, Kansas. Even though it was during the depression and jobs were scarce, the debt for the organ was soon paid off.
Church membership continued to grow and they soon ran out of Sunday School classrooms, so in 1953, it was decided to build an educational building. It was dedicated in 1954 and is still in use today.
Our current pastor is Rev. Gary D. Bell. He and his family have been with us since 2004.
Current membership is about 200.